Environmental Management Plan
A comprehensive Environmental Management Plan (EMP) has been built up for the Trung Son Hydropower Project (TSHPP) with the aim to control and minimize the environmental and social impacts of all construction and operational activities associated with the project. The Plan identifies the principles, approach, procedures and methods that will be used to control and minimize the impacts. It is intended to complement the project Supplementary Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (SESIA) and is a companion document to the Resettlement, Livelihoods and Ethnic Minorities Development Program (RLDP).
A number of management plans will be implemented throughout the construction and operation phases of the TSHPP including the following plans:
- Construction Impact Management Plan – measures to minimize negative impacts of construction activities on local communities and the natural environment, to reduce the induced impacts of camp followers, to prevent pollution and ensure that hazardous materials are stored properly without risk to the environment;
- Biodiversity and Protected Areas Management Plan – measures to ensure protection of local and regional biodiversity and minimize project impacts on three adjacent protected areas;
- Reservoir Clearing Plan – measures to minimize biomass loss as a result of reservoir clearing and to coordinate the timing of vegetation removal to allow salvage benefits to local communities;
- Environmental Monitoring Plan – measures to ensure project compliance, measure the success of proposed mitigation, continue baseline monitoring and review environmental and social performance;
- Community Relations and Safety Plan – measures to inform local communities about the progress of the project and ensure community safety;
- Regional Health Management Plan – PMB shall prepare a regional health plan to mitigate project impacts on the health of local populations;
- Physical Cultural Resources Management Plan – measures to prevent any inadvertent loss of physical and cultural resources during project construction and operation;
- Environmental Management Framework to address environmental issues during the construction and operation on infrastructure to be built in resettlement sites;
- Additional Studies – additional studies are planned to provide more baseline information for the project; and
- Training and Capacity Building – training and capacity shall be provided in all aspects of the EMP.
Trung Son Hydro power project Management Board has built up a Public Health Action Plan (PHAP) covering Resettlement and Regional Health Plan. The plan is responsible for preventing and mitigating the adverse effects of the Trung Son Hydro Project on resettlers, recipient communities, workers and others in the project affected areas; Improving the health status of the resettled in particular and local population in general; Build the capacity of public health institutions for addressing their target populations’ health needs.
This PHAP is the logical result of the HIA. The health needs identified under the ten national health priorities along with the primary functions of the CHCs are the focus of the PHAP so that a nationally applicable health infrastructure provides the primary health care at the delivery point.
The objective of the PHAP is to strengthen the existing government health infrastructure and facilitate full implementation of the national health programs in the impacted areas to mitigate the health impacts of the Trung Son Hydropower project.